E-mail…can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Time and again when I work with people to make the best use of their time, e-mail habits prove difficult to break. So here are my top 5 tips:
1. Only look at them 3 times a day – in truth, most people look at e-mails more than that because they are mildly (or majorly) addicted to them – very few roles require a level of responsiveness great than this.
2. Write down what you are trying to achieve in your role and review it at least once a week – this helps make quick decisions about what to delete and what to reply to.
3. Clear your inbox every time you look at it – a great tip here to save as drafts e-mails that require more time to respond to – draft e-mails tend to stand out.
4. Create a ‘Someday folder’ – and put everything that you might want to come back to some day in it!
5. Turn off the sound on your smartphone that alerts you to new e-mails – looking at them 3 times a day is hard enough without having that sound tempting you!
Good luck, let me know how you get on and, if you want to take your leadership effectiveness to a whole new level, why not join 50 other leaders at our FREE SEMINAR at Daresbury on Tuesday 22nd January for a session on ‘Creating Time for Leaders‘.